Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Baby Grub - Starting Solids

I started reading up on feeding the baby solids wayyyy before it was time to give him food because there are so many different views on this topic and I didn't want to overwhelm myself all at once. Well, it's overwhelming no matter how you do it.

Since Sebastian has been formula fed since he was 6 weeks old (and it's still a painfully sad & sensitive topic for me), I decided to start solids a little earlier than 6 months - at a little over 5 months. Supposedly, formula fed babies can be a little pickier when eating because they don't get the variety of flavors that breastfed babies do. I didn't want to start with rice cereal because a) that doesn't seem much better than formula and b) I wouldn't eat that crap. We started with avocado. And he was not a fan. Then we tried banana. Hated that even more. So I gave in and tried rice cereal. He didn't love it either. But I kept plowing on, trying a little more every day. Patience is key because this feeding crap TAKES FOREVER.

Today at 6 months, the pediatrician told us he should be eating 3 meals a day. We start with rice cereal for breakfast, a fruit for lunch, and a veggie for dinner. So far I have made all of Sebastian's food and he has tried:
  • avocado
  • banana
  • rice cereal
  • apples
  • sweet potato
  • peas
  • butternut squash
  • peaches
He likes some more than others but is really starting to get the hang of sitting in his highchair and eating with a spoon. Doesn't he look excited?

1 comment: