Friday, December 21, 2012

DIY Nursery Prints

I've been pretty picky about what I want up in the nursery and also pretty cheap. Without really knowing what I wanted in terms of bedding, picking anything out to hang on the walls proved to be a little difficult so a couple of weeks ago my mom & I headed out to Joann's Fabrics to see what they had. Even though the selection wasn't huge, I managed to feel completely overwhelmed. I didn't want anything too baby-ish, too bold, too boy-focused. But when my mom pulled out some gray fabric with a light turquoise and light orange modern pattern, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. We quickly found some coordinating prints and here's the gang:

My mom is going to make the crib skirt, storage bench cushion, a throw pillow cover, trim for the curtains, and a crib sheet out of these.

Knowing the general "color" scheme of the room helped me focus on what I wanted on the walls. I still have the adorable ABC animal print which my sister convinced me could fall on my baby if I hung it over the crib.

It's going over the changing table. But I needed something for the wall perpendicular to the vinyl tree.

I picked up two small and VERY LIGHT (I'm lookin' at you Nat!) white frames from IKEA and went off to Etsy to find something to put in them. With no luck. I couldn't find anything that would work with the color scheme and general feel that I wanted. So then I decided to just make them myself on Microsoft Word. A lot easier than searching through pages of stuff on Etsy. And we needed a little tribute to our Frenchie in the baby's room. After all, they are going to be BFFs (whether they like it or not).

 Serg moved the crib away from the wall JUST IN CASE the frames fall. Thanks for making me paranoid, Nat, lol.
 Overall I'm really happy with the way they came out. Not bad considering I only spent $4.99 for each frame and just printed them on my own printer on cardstock. I can't wait to see how the room will look once all the bedding/linens are done!


1 comment:

  1. looks great! ill be going to ikea to buy those frames!!!

    ReplyDelete