Sunday, November 18, 2012

Vinyl Tree Project - that was kind of a nightmare, lol

I had been thinking about what to put up in the baby's room for awhile and couldn't really think of a "theme" I really liked. I'm not a huge fan of keeping things the same for long periods of time (I bore easily...) and I didn't want to make it very "boy" specific in case we miraculously have a girl one day. I found a really adorable alphabet animal print with some funky little animals that I loved. So I bought it because it's not overly cutesy and I liked the bold colors.
How cute is the urchin?!

 I sent a picture of it hanging over the crib to my sister who immediately responded with "OMG WHAT IF THAT FALLS ON YOUR BABY?!!!" To which I responded with "You are crazy" and then I couldn't stop thinking about my kid under this giant picture frame, lol. 

On to the next option for over the crib... a vinyl cut out. Safe enough.
Oooh, whimsical...

But sadly, because the room is oddly shaped and the ceiling is slanted, I had a really hard time finding a cut out that fit the dimensions I needed. I could have custom ordered one for $99 (not counting shipping!). Yeah... noooo. I'm cheap, remember?!

Then I remembered that I have a Cricut that cuts vinyl. And Sure Cuts A Lot that allows you to cut any image you want.  So I found an image of a tree I loved:
And I sat at my computer on SCAL trying to figure out how the hell to cut this tree out so that it's 66 inches tall. And I sat here for a while. And even made a grid with measurements... And then I stomped away because I couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out how the hell to cut this damn tree out with my Cricut without completely botching it. I finally gave up, said f it, and decided to go the old fashioned way.
That's my work projector on it's side on top of books... I put the image of the tree horizontally on a Powerpoint slide and projected it onto gift wrapping paper that had grids on the back that I taped to the wall. 

Then I traced.

Then I slowly cut it out and traced in pencil onto my Cricut vinyl.

And I slowly applied it onto the wall in pieces. Like a puzzle. The most annoying puzzle on the planet.

This is what my floor looked like as I cut the pieces out.

Because I went this route, I was able to use some of the vinyl "scraps" and leftovers to cut the thinner branches. I only ended up using three sheets of the 12X24 Cricut vinyl for the trunk & branches. I used another sheet for all of the leaves (which I cut out w/ the Cricut, I'm not that spatially inept, lol).

And here it is...
Don't worry, those pillows won't stay in there, I just haven't moved them yet!

Total cost of the project - $15 (2 packages of Cricut vinyl with 2 sheets in each at $9.99 purchased with a coupon)
Total time of manual labor - 3 hours. And lots of cursing.

I love the way it turned out... and hopefully so will this kid. Because he's going to have this tree in his room until he's 18. ;)






5 comments:

  1. love it! i just found out i'm having a baby girl (i'm about 20 weeks). i was convinced that i was having a boy, so now i have to rethink how i want the nursery to look. i want it to be pretty gender neutral too just in case we have more kids in the future...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- do you have the bedding picked out yet? is it the blanket on the crib?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your baby girl! So exciting :)

    No bedding picked out yet... Since I'm not going to do a bumper, I think I'm going to pick out some fabric (with 2 coordinating patterns) I like to make the bed skirt, curtains, and changing pad cover. Then I'll mix and match solid sheets. I'm a huge chevron fan so when I saw that little baby blanket at Target, I had to have it. But not sure if it'll be part of the "theme". Have you picked anything out yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love your honesty! LOL

    ReplyDelete