Friday, March 30, 2012

My search for the right foundation... Product Review & Rave

I've been having some trouble with pesky acne lately and since I've never worn foundation, I was not quite sure which products I should be using. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on something that would end up in the back of my makeup drawer so I headed to Ulta to pick some different products up to test out (they let you return cosmetics even if they were opened).

First product: Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse (Nude)
 
Since I like the Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush (which is now discontinued), I thought I would find this foundation to be just as good. But it was a little too much for me. I tried applying both with a foundation brush and a second time with just my fingers. The coverage was more than I needed and I felt like it was caked on.

Second product: Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam (Nude)
This is definitely a lighter foundation than the Matte Mousse and the coverage wasn't as cakey.  I thought I would like the airy-ness of the foam but I wasn't a huge fan of the application. You have to shake the can A LOT in order to get the right consistency out of the bottle. And you have to pump it out on the back of your hand and use it quickly or it gets messy. I still felt like I had too much make up on my face.

Third product: Garnier BB Cream (Light/Medium)
Everyone has been talking about these BB creams and how amazing they are so I decided to give it a try. This is exactly the type of product I was looking for: a hybrid formula that offers advanced skincare and immediate skin perfecting coverage in one. It's a tinted moisturizer with SPF and acne treatment that gives me light coverage for my acne & splotchiness. I don't feel like I have a crapload of makeup on my face and if I'm in a rush all I have to do is rub some in, throw on some mascara and I'm good to go. I'm kind of obsessed.

You can find any of these products at your local drugstore but remember to check their return policy if you're not sure about which one is right for you. I always do a quick search online for any printable coupons so I don't break the bank either. What products have been working for you lately?


4 comments:

  1. Good to know! I've been looking for one too & picked up the Maybelline that feels like play-doh. I'll have to check out the BB cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did a review on the Garnier BB cream and I like it. I LOVE the Dream Smooth Liquid Mousse, the Matte Mousse is too matte and I think that's what makes it look cakey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought this yesterday thanks to your recommendation :). I liked it, but thought it made me look a little shiny. Then again, I wasn't trying too hard to get a perfect look. So, 2 questions: do you put a regular moisturizer on first and then the BB cream or just BB cream? Also, so you put powder on over it to squelch the shine a bit and keep it in place? Thanks for the product review - I think I'm really going to like it once I get the application down and working for me. <3 Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, I used the BBCream as my moisturizer (I have pretty oily skin) and I set it with translucent powder so I don't get super shiny in the forehead & nose area.
    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete