Saturday, December 10, 2011

DIY-Mostly IKEA-Mudroom


It's no secret that I have been coveting a mudroom since we moved into our house 2.5 years ago. The side entrance to our home opens to a space we have been calling the "breezeway". A rectangular outside-ish room with a door to our backyard, a door to the driveway and 2 windows that bring in a lot of light. I had dreams about turning that space into something awesome like this:

I found this picture on Pinterest, where this woman used pieces from IKEA to create her own mudroom storage:

So I copied the set up, went to IKEA, got all the pieces, put it all together (with Serg's help for the high stuff, lol) and here it is:

I put all the IKEA pieces together on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning I went on a hunt for hooks and baskets. I wanted the hooks to go all the way across the back but since it's an odd measurement between the two bookcases (47.25 inches), I decided to buy a piece of primed chair rail molding from Lowes, paint it, and find the hooks I like the most. I had my eye on these hooks from Pier 1 for a while and lucky me, since I needed 3 of them, they were 20% off yesterday!

The cushion for the bottom wall unit was the easiest thing in the whole process because I did not sew a thing, lol. I used this tutorial and my hot glue gun (my "Martha Stewart"like mother might be ashamed).

It took 2 days, a couple of screws, some cursing, and less than $350 to put it all together. And now I'm in love.







16 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed Renata! It looks awesome! You should post it to Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill! I'm so happy with how it turned out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous! We just did a board and batten wall for our coats too! Nice job! Found you from a link up you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out awesome. We don't have space for a mud room of any sort but if we did, I'd totally steal your Ikea layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where did you find the cushion tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake and Crystal - no tutorial. I got the foam and fabric at Joann's and pretty much wrapped the foam like a present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you for posting this mudroom idea. I found it on Pinterest and since I'm working with a very small space, these Ikea bookcases will do the job. Also, I'm a very visual person....Your pic really helped me imagine my design (I can't fit two bookcases!) but I was able to come up with a cute design for our daughter's playroom. Thank you and congrats on your soon to arrive bundle of joy!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found this on Pinterest. I love it! How many total "Billy" pieces do you have? I looked on Ikea's website and they didn't have a "wall unit" per se. It looks like you have 4 pieces.
    TIA! michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. texasred - I have 4 Billy pieces total in the "mudroom". This is the "wall unit": http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40116678/

    Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. This is just what we'd like to have in the hall. I particularly the cupboards to hide away things like the hoover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic. is the top bookcase (going across, above the bench) mounted into the wall, or is it screwed in to the "towers" on either side? thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's mounted into the wall.

      Delete
  12. Do they still make the billy wall unit that you used? The link did not work for me which might be because it is a year old. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, it doesn't look like they make it any more. I would take a look at the BESTA and Hemnes series: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80250976/#/80250981

      Delete
  13. I believe you may be able to use the billy small bookshelf for the overhead unit and bench.

    ReplyDelete